Thursday, June 16, 2011

Here we go...

So, for those of you who do not know Britton and I are moving to Canada.  If you had told me last year at our wedding that we would be living in Canada I would have straight laughed in your faced and probably thrown a drink on you...one of those is true...your call.  I am going to use this blog to keep everyone up to speed to what our new life is like and all of the things we are doing.  With that said I thought the first post it may make sense to have a little question and answer session.  So hold on to your hockey sticks, let's do this!

WHY in God's name are you moving to Canada?
Good question.   Basically because we love cold weather so much and we just thought "Hey!  Canada seems pretty cold and far away; let's go there!"  NOT.  Britton was offered an amazing opportunity with Deloitte in their Capitol Projects group.  He will be dealing quite a lot with oil and gas work which is HUGE in Alberta.  So off we go to Calgary, Alberta.

Wait...it's not Alberta, Canada?
(I don't know if any of you have asked this but frankly I had no clue about Canadian geography)  Sort of;  Alberta is the province (like our American states) and Calgary is the city.  So we are moving to Calgary, Alberta.

Where in the world is that?
RIGHT?!  Go to the far western side of Montana and go straight up the Rocky Mountains crossing the border, keep going for about 4 hours.  Hi!  You're in Calgary!

What time zone is that?
Mountain.  So we are 2 hours back from Atlanta time.  So don't be calling me at 7:30 am on your way to work.  At 5:30 am I will be asleep.

Umm, Rebecca...it is cold there...and you are going to freeze...
OH REALLY?  IT IS??  I had NO idea.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention!  I guess I better pack a coat!  To put this in perspective for you the average high in January in Atlanta is in the 40's.  Highs in Calgary?  Low 20's…maybe.   The only months where there is no snow?  June, July, and August...yikes.

Uhh...Do y'all ski?
Nope.  Guess we're going to learn.

How about hockey?
That’s really cute…no.

How long are you planning on staying in Canada?
Hopefully no longer than 3 years…RIGHT BRITTON?

Are you getting another job when you move there?
Nope!  I am very fortunate to work for a firm where I can work remotely.  So my morning commute will basically be walking downstairs.  YES!

Are you excited/scared/sad/nervous?
YES, YES, YES, YES.  Excited for an adventure, learning how to ski, seeing things I would otherwise never see.  Scared because we will be 2500 miles from home and family and friends.  Sad for the same reason.  Nervous for the same reason.  We already have a giant list (see below)  of all of the things we want to do when we are there and that makes is more exciting!

Is Daisy going with you?
WHAT?  Of COURSE!  What kind of mother would I be to leave her behind!  Plus she loves snow so this will be like a dream for her!

They have socialized healthcare there…does that apply to you?
You bet your ass it does.  We will now be card carrying members of Alberta’s social medical plan.  I will keep you posted on how that goes.  So far I have learned two things:  1. No prescriptions can be transferred there.  We have to establish all new healthcare and new prescriptions.  Awesome.  2.  There medical plan does cover child birth…but not epidurals.  (Blaney I can hear you cheering from my desk  in Georgia for that one)

So are y’all going to have children there?
Uhhh…I have no idea.  Not anytime soon.  I mean if we do that then our child could never be president of the USA!

When do you leave?
Britton is already there working and in our house (sans furniture) and I leave July 5th.  My mom, Britton’s mom, my brother Wynn, and Daisy are making the drive there.  We thought it would be nice to make a cross country trip out of it and see some interesting things!

When can I come visit?
ANYTIME!  We have plenty of room!  We have a 4 bedroom house so there is lots of room for visitors.

Things to come?
Look for more soon on our house, things to do in Canada, fun Canadian facts, tales on our cultural differences…there are more than you think…guess who boozes it up during lunch time??

Your blog is SERIOUSLY ugly.  Did you do that on purpose?
I appreciate that.  I have no idea how to blog.  This is step one.  If anyone out there can please help me I would love you forever.  Do you know anyone who is a blog designer?  Are you a blog designer?  Is that even what people are called?  HELP!

XOXO
Rebecca and Britton (and Daisy too!)


2 comments:

  1. Love you, Becca! You're in for a great adventure and I know you'll be making lots of friends (as everyone will want to hear your sweet southern accent). Betty Rae and I want to come before it gets tooooo cold, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't update this sucker three times a week, I'm going to be highly perturbed. Do you have skype or facetime? If so, drop me a line & I'll show you how to change your blog.

    ReplyDelete